Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Miss Speller

Hi, my name is Mary Ann and I can’t spell. It’s something I hate to admit, but it’s true.  I am a misspeller.  It’s not because I am lazy, or dumb, or uneducated. It’s just one of those things about me that I have learned to accept. My brain refuses to remember how to spell things.
You might wonder; what kind of writer can’t spell?
There are millions of us out there, hiding behind our spell checkers, auto correct buttons and pocket dictionaries.
We watch you from the sidelines, waiting to see how you spell a word so we can fake it. We are a crafty bunch, intermingling with you perfect spellers in writer’s groups, writing workshops and writing chat-rooms. You don’t even realize we are there.  We hide our disability well.
So the next time someone asks you how to spell something simple, don’t judge. Just remember there’s enough room in the writing world for all of us. And yes, I know misspeller isn’t a word.