Thursday, March 27, 2014

Bringing the A word out




My character Samantha has autism. I’ve read many books where I sense the main character is on the spectrum, but for whatever the reason the author chose not to use the word AUTISM. That’s fine, in my book Sister Sleuths and The Shadowman I just come right out and say it. People are afraid of the A word, but I feel like we should bring it out into the open so it’s not something to be ashamed of. The spectrum is so huge that often people go undiagnosed for years; some, even their whole lives. Many people go through life looking ‘normal’ on the outside, but fighting insurmountable anxieties and fears on the inside. Imagine what children on the spectrum go through every day in a world that they don’t understand, and that doesn't understand them.Today the CDC announced that 1 in 68 American children are on the Autism Spectrum.  Now, more than ever we need to start teaching our children acceptance and inclusion.I work in a bookstore; as a bookseller these are a few of my favorite children’s titles that teach kids that different is just different and not less.


Picturebooks
Henny by Elizabeth Rose Stanton
Tulip Loves Rex by Allyssa Satin Capucilli
Young Readers
Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan
Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

Young Adult

Sister Sleuths and the Shadowman by M.A. Cortez

A portion of the proceeds from this book will be Donated to raise Autism Awareness.


Here are some links to information on autism

www.autismspeaks.org

www.facebook.com/AutsimTalk