Sunday, March 2, 2014

Get 'er Done



We all know that writers procrastinate. I know several writers and there’s not one in the bunch that is quick to follow through on completing a story. Okay, maybe one, but she’s rare.
I ask myself, why? Why do we put off what must be done; especially when it comes to our writing?
I have all these great story ideas swimming around in my head, just waiting for me to fish them out and give them legs like the Little Mermaid.I tell myself, get them out there into the world, and let them hear your voice and see their beauty. (She does get her voice back, folks.) But instead, I peruse through Facebook, plant virtual crops, or smash cyber candies.
I give myself a good talking to, read all the advice I can find, on buckling down, staying on task, and getting published. I make a pinkie promise that as soon as I get home, I will get to work on my dream, and then, instead, I eat dinner in front of the T.V. and pretend I’ll catch up tomorrow.
Why do we do it? I can come up with a million excuses, but that would mean I’d have to write them down and who has time for that right?
The truth is, my writing friends, it’s all about fear. Fear of rejection, fear of criticism, fear of success, fear of commitment. If we stick to it we might just make it, and, then we’d be obligated to write. We worry that it would take all the fun out of what we love.
I work in a book store and let me tell you, it’s FUN to see people get excited about a book. It’s Fun to recommend a new author and Fun to talk about the new and original stories readers come across.  Fun! With a capital F.
So, let’s not stop at thinking about those ideas. Let’s write those stories down and discover a whole new level of fun. 
*#!*&@!  
That was me falling off my soapbox. Falling with a capital F.